Monday, April 16, 2007

The Best Political Litmus Test? - My Dad.

I called home last night, and while talking to my Dad, I got what was probably the best indicator of what the "average working class guy" is getting from the news. My Dad, freshly retired from the John Deere plant in Cedar Falls, Iowa, tends to go along with the crowd in his opinions, so he is not alone with his views.

Some of the things I remember:

- Of course, all the women will vote for Kooky (Clinton).

- The country is just too young to have a black President.

- I liked what that Thompson fellow has to say. I know that he's a Republican, but he really impressed me.
- (Which one, Fred or Tommy?)
- Uh, Fred.
- (You mean the guy from "Law & Order"?)
- Is he?
- (Yeah, Fred Thompson is the guy from "Law & Order".)
- Really, I didn't know that. But I really liked what he did with Wisconsin.

So what we got so far is a battle of the sexes with Clinton, subdued racism with Obama, and a monstrous mix-up with Fred/Tommy Thompson.

No comments: